A tradition at our family’s holiday gatherings.
Chill time, overnight
1 loaf (8 ounces) french bread cut into 1 inch thick slices
1 1/2 cups each milk and half and half
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Generously butter 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- Fill dish with bread slices so dish is completely covered with bread and filled to the top
- Mix milk, 1/2 & 1/2, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon in a bowl
- Pour over bread
- Refrigerate covered overnight
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove casserole from fridge and uncover
- Mix topping ingredients
- Dollop over top of casserole
- Bake uncovered until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving
Note: I find this should be cooked a little longer, keep checking.