This is a light cake, but not too late. After all, it is a birthday cake. Think angel food cake with butter.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon almond extract
1 cup softened butter
3 cups cake flour
1 cup super fine sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 egg whites
1.5 cups sliced almonds
Whipped Cream Frosting Ingredients:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line (2) 9 inch round cake pan bottoms with parchment
- Lightly grease and flour parchment
- Stir together milk, vanilla and almond extracts and cherry juice
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric stand mixer (preferred) until creamy. Gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture alternating with cherry mixture beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat on low just until blended after each addition.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites on medium until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into pans
- In food processor or chopper grind 1/2 cup almonds until they are ground fine
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes and the remove from pans and cool for 40 minutes
- Place one cake topside down and frost the center. Add crushed almonds on top. Place other cake layer top side up. Frost cake starting at top and smooth out the sides. Place sliced almonds onto sides of the cake. It seems harder than it is, they stick nicely. Place cherries on top and add a ground almond dusting.
- Whip all ingredients in stand mixer with whisk attachment until firm
A Jackie O’ Recipe
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);