This is Ina Garten’s recipe. I added Limoncello instead of cassis liqueur. Pie crust recipe from NYT Cooking.
** This makes two crusts, one for the bottom and one for the top**
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup shortening, chilled, cut into pieces
2/3 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
10 tablespoons ice water
- Make the crust: Sift flour, sugar and salt together. Using a food processor or pastry cutter, blend butter and shortening into the flour mixture until pea-sized pieces form. Slowly add the water until the dough just comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, flatten into two disks, and refrigerate for at least one hour. Roll out chilled dough on a floured surface until it is large enough to create a 1-inch overhang on a 9-inch pie pan.
4 cups fresh blueberries washed and dried
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon Limoncello
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the blueberries, the 1/2 cup of sugar, the flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and Limoncello in a large bowl. Carefully ease one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, making sure not to stretch the dough at all, or it will shrink as the pie bakes. With a sharp knife, cut the excess dough off at the edge of the pie plate. Spoon the blueberry mixture into the pie shell, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula to be sure you have all the juices.
- Brush the edge of the crust with the egg wash. Carefully lay the second crust on top, again easing — not stretching — it onto the pie. Cut the excess dough off at the edge of the pie plate. Press the two edges together with a dinner fork. Brush the top crust with the eggs wash, cut three slits for steam to escape, and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place the pie on the prepared sheet pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until the filling is very bubbly and the crust is nicely browned. Allow to cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);