This is not a really sweet pie. If you prefer, use a 1/2 cup sugar.
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup corn starch, all purpose or tapioca flour
3/4 cup bourbon
1/3 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups pitted tart cherries ( I use frozen)
1 cup pecan chips
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2.5 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening cut into pieces (use the sticks)
2/3 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
5-8 tablespoons ice water
1 egg, plus tablespoon milk
- Make the crust. Sift flour, sugar and salt together.
- In a food processor, blend 2/3 cup butter and shortening into the flour mixture until pea sized pieces form.
- Slowly add the water until the dough just comes together.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk, refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Thaw cherries and drain excess juice.
- In a small bowl, combine water and corn starch,
- In a medium sauce pan, heat bourbon over medium heat. Once it boils, whisk in corn starch mixture and continue to boil for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and add sugar, lemon juice and extracts. Add cherries and stir to coat well. Place in refrigerator until cool.
- Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Cut dough in half. Roll out half of dough on floured surface. Add dough to glass pie plate. make sure dough is crimped over edges.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Mix butter with cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans.
- Pat mixture firmly on top of pie crust in bottom of pan.
- Add cherry mixture to pie.
- Roll out other half of dough. Cut into long strips if you are making a lattice.
- Weave strips (lattice) or place on top of pie.
- Brush with egg wash
- Bake for 45-48 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving for at least an hour.
A Jackie O’ Recipe