Tapioca flour makes this thicker, but use corn starch if needed.
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2.5 pounds strawberries (about 6 cups)
zest of two lemons
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees for dark pan,and 350 degrees for a metal pan
- Crush graham crackers in food processor
- Mix with brown sugar
- Melt butter on low in a saucepan, turn off heat
- Mix in brown sugar and graham cracker mixture
- Pat into a lightly greased pie pan
- Bake crust for 10-12 minutes at 300 degrees for dark pan and 8-10 minutes for metal pan. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut larger strawberries in halves, leave smaller berries whole
- Mix strawberries with sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and tapioca flour
- Add to a skillet or large sauce pan until bubbly. Turn down heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes
- Add filling to pie shell
- Add whipped cream to entire pie or just circles around the ends and one in the middle. Homemade whipped cream is easy, see recipe below.
- Chill for at least 4 hours
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
1 heaping teaspoon vanilla
In an electric mixer, beat cream until it looks thicker. Add vanilla and sugar and continue to beat until it thick like whipped cream.
A Jackie O’ Recipe
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);