These are rich and delicious. Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes. You may need extra frosting.
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1- 8 oz. container sour cream
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Hershey’s)
1/2 plus 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of salt
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup salted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
¾ cup of cocoa powder
2-3 teaspoons of vanilla
2 tablespoons of milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Sift together the flour, soda, salt, and cocoa powder and set aside. Use a standing mixer or hand-mixer to cream the butter. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each one until smooth.
- Alternate flour mixture with sour cream and mix to combine on low. Do not over work batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pans filling 1/2 full.
- Add a spoonful of the caramel sauce over the batter of each cupcake
- Add more batter to each cupcake until they are 2/3 full. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are puffed and spring back when lightly pressed. Be careful not to over bake the cakes, but know that if you take them out too early they may sink a bit. Cool the cakes in the muffin tins for about 5 minutes and then remove them to a rack and let cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes when cool and drizzle with caramel sauce and add chopped pecans.
Caramel Sauce Directions:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk continuously. Let the sauce gently bubble for a few minutes until slightly thickened.Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Turn off heat. Serve warm or refrigerate until cold.
Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting Directions:
- Combine all ingredients and beat on high until smooth for about 5 minutes
A Jackie O’ Recipe
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);