Bolognese sauce is a thicker, meatier sauce served with pasta. My version is made with baby back ribs. Enjoy!
1 rack baby back ribs, silver skin removed
Canola or vegetable oil
2/3 cup shredded carrots
2/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup Madeira or Marsala wine ( or if not available any red wine)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
Fusilli, rotini or another hearty pasta
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil to the pot
- Add onion and saute until translucent
- Add carrots and onions and cook for about 3 minutes
- Cut ribs into sections of 2 or 3 and add rub with salt and pepper
- Add ribs to the pot and brown
- Add 2 cups of tomato juice and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 1.5-2 hours or until meat falls off the bone
- Drain ribs into strainer and pull meat off the bone and shred or cut, whichever you prefer. Discard bones.
- Add meat back to pot with leftover celery and carrot mixture in strainer
- Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, the basil, wine, parsley, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Prepare pasta. Serve sauce over pasta or toss with pasta. Finish with Parmigiano Reggiano.
A Jackie O’ Recipe
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);