This is a delightful casserole perfect for colder months. The shrimp and cheese wine sauce make it very rich. Serve with a light spinach salad. Saffron brings out a honey earthy aroma and goes well with shrimp and Sherry.
1 lb. cleaned, deveined, raw shrimp
1 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup cashews
1 small head broccoli (crowns only), cooked (optional)
4 cups cooked wild rice mix
pinch of saffron (optional)
1/4 cup panko
3 tablespoons butter plus 1 for Panko
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup Sherry
1/2 cup milk
1.5 cups Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Prepare rice according to package
- Cook broccoli crowns
- Chop water chestnuts
- Grate cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. Add shrimp seasoned with salt and lemon juice. Saute until pink. Remove shrimp from pan.
- Grease a large casserole dish with butter
- Melt butter in a skillet or sauce pan on medium. Add flour. Slowly add milk and Sherry. Add 1 cup cheese slowly in handfuls, stir constantly. Add pepper, Kosher salt and pinch of saffron.
- Mix shrimp, rice, broccoli, water chestnuts and cashews in a large bowl. Add mixture to casserole dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and mix with Panko
- Add 1/2 cup cheese and Panko on top of casserole
- Bake for 30 minutes
A Jackie O’ Recipe