Making your own teriyaki is simple. This is also very good with chicken.
frozen, uncooked Key West or gulf shrimp ( Try not to by Asian imported shrimp)
fresh, cubed pineapple
sugar snap peas
1 red pepper, sliced thin
1/2 a large onion cut into chunks
medium grain rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small ginger root, minced
4 teaspoons canola oil
8 tablespoons Sherry wine
8 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4 tablespoons honey
pinch of red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons corn starch
4 tablespoons water
toasted sesame seeds
- Cook rice per package instructions
- Clean shrimp and remove shells
- In a bowl combine garlic, ginger, Sherry, soy sauce, honey and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Mix water and corn starch together. Add to above mixture until thickened.
- Add shrimp to mixture
- Heat large skillet to medium high and add sesame oil (if you do not have sesame oil, use canola)
- Add onions, sugar snap peas, pineapple and peppers. Stir fry on high for a few minutes until vegetables are bright but still crisp.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and add to a separate pan. Cook for a few minutes until the shrimp turn pink.
- Add shrimp and marinade to large pan with vegetables, leave on high for about a minute and then turn down to low for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over everything in pan.
- Serve over rice.
A Jackie O’ Recipe