Everyone loves this traditional casserole. It is also a great way to use up the Thanksgiving turkey. I have adjusted it, but have listed the alternate ingredients.
Serve with a salad and cranberry relish. Enjoy!
5 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped onion or 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 cup melted butter plus 2 tablespoons
2.5 cups milk
2 cups cooked, cut up chicken or turkey
1.5 cups chicken or turkey broth (if using low sodium add a little more salt to rice)
1 cup American or cheddar cheese
1.5 cups frozen french style green beans or frozen broccoli (thawed) or cooked fresh broccoli
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
1/2 row Ritz crackers
1 and 1/3 cup uncooked Minute rice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add rice to casserole dish, pour broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt over rice
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese, then add green beans and turkey or chicken
- Stir flour, 1/4 cup butter, onion and salt on medium low. Add milk and stir or whisk until it thickens.
- Pour sauce over casserole and top with remainder 1/2 cup cheese, almonds and poppy seeds.
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Add crunched up Ritz and stir until coated with butter.
- Add crackers to top of casserole
- Bake for 30 minutes
** Alternate, use only 2 cups milk and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, no crackers and no poppy seeds and half the cheese if you desire**