We all need a broccoli cheese casserole recipe for the holidays. This is the best one I have found.
3 heads broccoli
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese ( I grate myself)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese ( I use sharp and grate it myself)
2 cups crushed buttery crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13X9 casserole dish
- Add broccoli florets to a large stockpot of boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes and then drain and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until well combined. Then whisk in milk or cream, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly. Stir in sour cream.
- Arrange broccoli in casserole dish, pour sauce over broccoli. top with cheddar cheese and crushed crackers.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);