This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe I have adjusted slightly. My version has less chicken stock and more wine and no pancetta.
1 butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken stock
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large shallots
1.5 cups Arborio rice
2.5 cups white wine (Chardonnay works nicely)
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel squash, remove seeds and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Place on baking sheet, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, tossing once until very tender. Set aside.
- Heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low to simmer.
- In a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the shallots on medium-low heat for about 6 minutes, until shallots are translucent but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir. Add 1/2 cup wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the wine to simmering chicken stock.
- Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice, plus the saffron, salt and pepper. stir and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue this process until stock is gone. Every time rice has absorbed liquid, add 2 more ladles.
- Continue until rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total.
- Add squash and cheese. Turn off heat. Mix and serve.
Serve this with pork tenderloin and cauliflower with bread crumbs.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-15266595-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);