Time consuming, but worth it!
6 cups low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large shallots, chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons lemon zest
- Bring broth to simmer in large sauce pan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with oil in heavy, large sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until tender, about 6 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add 1 1/2 cups hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For fun, add shrimp sauteed in olive oil and red pepper flakes. Simply divine.