This amount of potatoes serves 6 (adjust recipe to crowd)
6-8 Yukon Gold potatoes
half and half
1/2 stick butter
- Peel and cut potatoes into chunks (in half and then once more)
- Heat large pot of water on stove to a boil
- Add potatoes, bring to a boil again, turn down to medium-high
- boil potatoes until soft (time varies depending on how many potatoes)
- Drain potatoes into a strainer
- Dump potatoes back into pot
- With masher, mash potatoes, add half and half slowly (small amounts), add butter and kosher salt to taste
- Continue to add half and half to desired consistency ( When creamy, but not runny or thin
A Few lumps are good!
Same as above, but add 2 tablespoons horseradish in with butter (may not need as much half and half)
Blue Cheese Variation
Same as above, except add potatoes to a glass, shallow dish (pie plate will do). Heat broiler, add blue cheese to top of potatoes, broil until brown.